Thursday, August 16, 2007

The English Patient and class ethos...

I saw the English Patient today for the first time I tried the watch it yesterday on cable but decided to rent for a more closer viewing as I was watching it with my husband and we like to make cogent observations about films when we watch them..and the English patient is a film that needs to be watched the first time closely or in the isolation of a dark theater.

The first observation of my husband was what were all these upper class blokes doing in the desert. My comment was that back then rich trust fund babies were usefull as they had time on their hands and could explore things and map them unfortunately Satellites have destroyed this use of rich folks. Now young Upper class blokes trowl the titty bars(excuse me Gentlemen Clubs) instead of the sahara or the congo or the amazon.

I did like the movie even if it was depressing..unlike Elaine I did enjoy it.
But romantically the upper class romance was over the top and overdramatic and a bit cheesy...The people I related to were the soldiers the nurse Hana and the bomb detail members and Willem Defoe's character reminded me of a family member..I found their lives and their tragedies the most moving and the most beautiful..It seemed as though the WAr and its daily horror bonded these people so closely and yet with the final grateful end of victory comes the end of that bond..With relief comes the time to remember, comes the time to seperate, life for these characters will never be the same.. The count and Katherine are the death of the old world order of aristocrats and their supposedly noble endeavours..The count dies and with him the dramatic and entitled love..Hana suicides him for he and his character are no longer relevant in the post war europe..Hungary will lose its counts and countesses to a proletariant world of communism..Hana and her small friends are the future..The count and the Cliftons are the past..IN the fiery crucible of WW2 the colonial world of Britain is destroyed and the Noble largesse of the English Patient and his love disappear...Why is it that goings on of our betters always seems more romantic and more dramatic..Their sufferings more tragic and their motivations more noble...

Merrie part from the hinterlands

No comments: